Thanks to its lateen-style rig, the Sunfish delivers automatic gust control while providing enough canvas to harness zephyrs. Beginners will appreciate the boat’s mainsheet-only sail-control set-up, while experts can always learn more about body positioning, balance and light-touch steering from this classic steed. World’s most popular sailboat!
Designed by Alex Byran and Cortlandt Heyniger in 1953 and originally built out of plywood, the Sunfish is the world’s most popular sailboat, with more than a quarter-million sold by 1995 when it was inducted into the American Sailboat Hall of Fame.
The legendary dinghy’s construction switched to fiberglass in 1960, and incremental upgrades have been introduced over the years, but today’s Sunfish is essentially identical to the ones that were sailed hard and put away wet back in the 1960s. The net result is an international class that sanctions more than 1,000 regattas a year and a design that’s as equally suited to racing as it is to day sailing.
- Single-line sheeting dramatically simplifies sail handling.
- Lateen rig is designed to automatically twist-off and depower in gusts.
- Self-bailing cockpit keeps the ride dry and reduces real-world displacement.
- Spacious cockpit can accommodate a cooler for casual outings with friends.
- Deck coaming provides splashguard protection for negotiating choppy waters.
- Optional Race package includes a race-ready sail with a visibility window and additional sail controls for dialing-in your trim.
Sunfish Race model $4,780.00 - Please call Boat Locker at (203)259-7808 to order SF Race directly.
|ship location option||Due to its size and weight, this item carries a delivery surcharge. Please call 203-259.7808 for more information.|
13'11" | 4.24 m
4'1" | 1.25 m
190 lbs | 86 kg
120 lbs | 54.43 kg
Draft (Board Down)
2'1" | 0.64 m
10' | 3.05 m
Total Sail Area
75 ft² | 6.97 m²